Small house plans are small home plans or floor plans. Small house plans are popular but are not a style of home. Small house plans make sense for many people and families because they are more affordable. Small house plans can be anything from a cottage, ranch style or even cabin or almost any other style home. If you choose these types of plans, you will save money and cost of material. It is also less expensive to build a small house than a large home.
Some small homes have two floors and come with or without a basement. Some more common small homes have crawlspaces for extra storage. Traditionally they have a room off the kitchen which you can place a washer and dryer. These house are frequently Cottage or Bungalow style.
Some other small house plans consist of homes that keep the kitchen, bathroom, and bedrooms to the end of the house and the living room in its center. This gives more simplicity and also a sense of luxury to the house.
Small house plans are normally defined as houses with less than 1800 square feet, excluding a basement. These house are also space efficient and less expensive to build on a small plot of land.
If you are interested in small house plans you should always look for the best deals on blueprints. Blueprints or plans are available from a variety of sources and at many different prices. Two of my favorites are coolhouseplans.com and dongardner.com. Plans from coolhouseplans have prices ranging from $585 for five sets of blueprints up to $1,175 for CAD files. If you are not familiar with CAD files, these are Computer Aided Drawing files, meaning that they provide all the information needed to build the house on CD-ROM and have blueprints that can be printed and as often as needed and in any quantity.
Materials for these homes are usually lower in cost since they don’t require as much wood or brick. Someone interested in small house plans can also look for a designer who can make custom blueprints with all the specific features you want. These custom plans may cost less then complete house blueprints or they may cost more – depending on the designer or architect. You can also find kits that come with plans where the home can be built in a few weeks or months.
Whether you’re hoping to build a mother-in-law add-on unit or aiming to limit your family’s carbon footprint, there are plenty of reasons for choosing small house plans. The most common reason for choosing small home plans is that your home will be built on a smaller lot. Below, we’ve gathered design tips for small house plans – look for these characteristics in house plans you’re considering.
1. A design that splits bedrooms. Savvy designers place bedrooms on opposite ends of the home. Even in a small house, this extra padding means fewer noise interruptions for sleepers. If the bedrooms are all side-by-side in home plans, even the opening and closing of drawers will seem loud to nearby occupants. Check that your small house plans place bedrooms farther away from each other, so your family members can do whatever they need to do without creating an irritating disturbance for others.
2. Smart sight lines. Living in a small house can challenge anyone’s need for privacy. Poorly thought-out sight lines often exacerbate this tendency. For instance, it’s common for the rooms of smaller homes to radiate off of one central living, dining and kitchen area. A pet peeve of many who have lived in this type of arrangement is that you can too easily see into surrounding rooms from the public area. As you visualize your house plans, look for winding designs that make each room feel more private and protected.
3. Lofty ceilings. While reviewing design options, remember that higher ceilings will make any space feel larger. This kind of information will be included in your small house plans. Ideally, you should have 8-foot ceilings in the most commonly used spaces. If it’s not easy to determine ceiling height, see if the home plans you’re looking at list the height of the “plate.” This is the height at which the home’s roof beams rest.
4. Well-designed outdoor areas. If possible, choose small house plans that incorporate attractive outdoor living areas. Outdoor living is an excellent way to make a small home “live large.” Many homeowners choose to have a smaller front porch and a larger, more private back patio area. Your outdoor spaces should be well suited for your habits as well as the light patterns in the home. (If you enjoy watching the sunset from your western-facing lot, for instance, you would do well to choose house plans with a sun porch in front.)
5. Long, narrow garage. For many Americans, the ability to protect their vehicles is a priority. If this is true for you, select small house plans that include a two-car garage. To be more specific, the garage should be long enough to accommodate longer vehicles and just wide enough to hold two vehicles. This design maximizes your square footage. Plus, if you drive compact cars, this design will afford you garage storage space up front.
6. Only one full bath. Our favorite small house plans include a tub and shower in the master bedroom, and just a shower in the second bath. This approach maximizes space while accommodating those who enjoy a good soak.
7. Recommendation for making any home plans seem larger: Aim for plenty of natural lighting. Carefully examine the windows and skylights in the home design; remember that all rooms will seem more spacious if they have plenty of natural light.
Planning forms the basis of each and every activity may it be production of goods or construction of houses. We need to always plan for the future and be prepared for the worst. People always have a backup plan ready in case of any emergency and similar is the case with construction of small houses.
If we are to construct a small house firstly we need to plan for, what kind of house do we need? Which locality will suit us? How many rooms do we require in the house? And many such questions need to be answered before hand. Once we are clear with these questions we need to put all the things on paper and design a house accordingly.
It’s always better to take some professional help in the planning and designing of the house because professionals can make full and optimum utilization of the space available. Housing forms one of the three basic necessities of life and therefore families like to keep it clean and maintain it for years so that it gives attractive looks.
A couple of other factors, apart from planning that play a big role in the construction of a small house are time and money. These 2 factors are as important as planning and need to be considered while you construct a small house, planning though forms the basis of constructing a small house.
Planning of your house also involves the selection of right kind of material for your house, manpower required, proper designs. Its always better to take the services of a civil engineer and an interior designer if you want the things to go as you had planned. Also taking advice from your relatives and friends for your small house is a good option because each and every person will give you a different kind of idea and you can ultimately choose the best one out of it.
Because you will be constructing a small house, effective utilization of space becomes a real concern and therefore the engineer needs to design your house in such a way that each and every corner of your house is utilized.
Always share your plans and mindset with the engineer because then he will design the house according to it. Before buying any product from the market ensure that it is of good quality and is available at a fair price. Often we find people compromising on quality for price, which is not good.
A proper plan needs a regular evaluation from time to time and this can be achieved by regular visits to the site and checking whether things are going as planned or not. Keep consulting about various things with your contractor or engineer so that things actually happen the way you want them to happen because otherwise it may create some kind of confusion. Thus plan for your house in a way that you are actually able to construct a house similar to the one in your mind.